Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Question on circular saw

On circular saws, taping the safety shield up and out of the way then
extending the blade to maximum depth may make it convenient for plunge cuts
in the middle of a board but it is also the best way to loose a finger and
cut your leg open. (or your helper). Do this while leaning over a 4'x8'
ply, balancing it with the other hand and holding the cord aside with your
foot will virtually guarantee a trip to the hospital. OH, don't forget to
put the saw horses too close together so the workpiece falls when the cut is
half done thereby binding the blade and kicking it out of the wood and into
the hand you are using as a clamp.

"Steven L Umbach" wrote in message
You could with the right jigsaw such as the Bosch 1590 but that is around
$160. Sears is clearing out the Bosch clone [ model 27719] of their old
jigsaw which still is an excellent jigsaw and many Sears have them for $39
in their clearance center down from $149. Having said that a circular saw
is a great tool and user's need to understand how to use them safely
including using a good sharp blade, only using as much blade as needed for
the depth of cut, respecting the tool until the blade is stationary,
clamping your work, using a stance that has a good balance and firm
support, supporting the work properly, and working in a clear work area,
etc. As others have mentioned a miter saw is another great tool to have
for crosscutting. You can get a decent miter saw for under $150 such as
the Hitachi models sold at Lowes. Bosch has a circular saw [CS20/CS10]
that will stop spinning the blade if the blade pinches instead of causing
kickback. The CS10 goes for around $119 regular price. --- Steve

wrote in message
oups.com...
I currently have a reciprocating saw that I've used to rebuild a fence
with, but I just received a circular saw as a gift. It's a low-end Skil
saw (so there is no electric brake), and I'm thinking about exchanging
it for a jigsaw instead. I want to repair the soffit & fascia on my
house, and occasionally make small blocks of wood. However, I'm not
really comfortable with spinning objects (years ago I witnessed a
handyman lose a finger trying to saw plywood on my lawn, he could have
gotten his foot sawn off as well...). Can I do what I want to do with
just my reciprocating saw and an orbital jigsaw?

Thanks for any replies.

Jan