Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

Default please explain this kitchen wiring...

Statement one: hire an electrician

No boxes should have one wire. A recep requires a hot, a neutral,
and a ground. Typical - black, white, and green.

It is possible to have a receptacle that is controlled by a
switch. There is no requirement to do so, but it is used. Most
often it is used to control table lamps. Often it is used by
switching only half of a receptacle - bottom plug hot, top plug
switched.

I could not follow your description. With the above information,
perhaps you can try again.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am doing the finish electrical work on a new kitchen in my
house. I
need to get everything working before an inspector reviews my
work, and
there is one thing in the kitchen that I am having trouble
figuring
out.

There are two outlet circuits in the kitchen. Call them
Appliance #1
and Appliance #2. Appliance #1 begins in a box over the
counters and
Appliance #2 starts in the next box a few feet away. In both of
these
boxes "line" is clearly labeled so I know this is where to put a
gfi.
After the gfi boxes the circuits hit alternating boxes, 3 boxes
per
circuit. Appliance #1 terminates in a box that has only one
wire in.
Nothing complicated here. I have attached all the receptacles
for
Appliance #1 and it works fine.

What is odd is Appliance #2. It does not terminate in a box
that has
only one wire in it. Furthermore, there is one switch (in a
bank of
switches the others of which are lights) and this one switch has
two
blacks. One black is energized when Appliance #2 is energized.
So, it
is as if Appliance #2 (or some set of boxes on this circuit) is
interrupted by a two way switch.

Does this make sense? Is there a code that says that an outlet
circuit in a kitchen has to have a switch? And how come
Appliance #2
does not terminate in a box that has only one wire in it?

Thanks, mh