Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default lolly column

Michael Daly wrote:
On 24-May-2006, "RicodJour" wrote:

All steels are not created equal.

Any steel used in a structural application (assuming a standard lolly column)
is not going to rust that quickly. It isn't sheet metal.

Sheet piling isn't a Lally column and you have no idea how long the
column has been there. The OP said that his street flooded "about
every ten years". Your guess as to how long he has been monitoring
that flood data...? I have no clue.

The OP said the spots were leaking. That would mean leaking from the
inside out. That's a serious problem anyway you cut it.

Is that what he knows or what he thinks? I don't take things like this
at face value.

The OP wrote, "One of them has leaking rust spots, 3 of them. Bottom,
middle and towards top." I can't imagine another scenario, other than
water originating on the inside that would cause three such spots to
leak. Anything originating on the outside would be uniform
(condensation) or there'd be a visible trail of water (leak from
above). If it's leaking from the inside out, it's a lot worse than
what you're seeing. Right?