Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob S.

Default DIY Willow Tree Chopping?

Bert Byfield wrote:
You don't give enough information.
How big? (Huge doesn't fit a willow tree)

Seventy feet?

How close to a building?

Near house and garage, but the tree is top-heavy in the rearward to
the field direction.

Any overhead wiring nearby?

Nothing. It's on the opposite side.

Have you ever cut a tree down before?

I've cut down a dead crab apple tree, and some half-grown black
walnut trees, and some half-grown maples. I've only got an electric
16" but I've been through trunks about the same size with it. The
height is my problem.

Ok, right up front I'll say if you're unsure of yourself, leave it to
someone who knows what they're doing. You can get seriously hurt, or
cause property damage, and saving a few bucks is not worth it.

That being said, I am not a pro but have cut down quite a few large
trees of the size you mention. I never cut limbs in the air, I fall
the complete tree and cut it up on the ground. If you don't have room
to fall it, leave it to the pro's.

I start with a thorough evaluation of the tree. Is it leaning? Is it
top heavy with limbs to one side? Does it have a weak spot? Am I
confident I can get it to fall where I want it? When I'm satisfied
with those answers, I tackle it.

I start by going up an extension ladder against the tree and tying 2
long heavy ropes as far up the trunk as I can get. I stretch them out
and tie them off to secure points in the direction of the fall - away
from the nearby buildings. The purpose of this is prevent the tree
from falling backward when you make your base cuts. If possible, I
even use a come-along to put pressure in the direction of the fall. I
then make the standard v cut halfway through the tree in the direction
of the fall, followed by a straight cut from the back side about 2-3
inches above the v point.

But to be honest, I'd never attempt that type of work with an electric
chainsaw. I'd borrow or rent a 18-20 inch gas model.

Bob S.