Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Question on circular saw

wrote:
I currently have a reciprocating saw that I've used to rebuild a fence
with, but I just received a circular saw as a gift. It's a low-end
Skil saw (so there is no electric brake), and I'm thinking about
exchanging it for a jigsaw instead. I want to repair the soffit &
fascia on my house, and occasionally make small blocks of wood.
However, I'm not really comfortable with spinning objects (years ago
I witnessed a handyman lose a finger trying to saw plywood on my
lawn, he could have gotten his foot sawn off as well...). Can I do
what I want to do with just my reciprocating saw and an orbital
jigsaw?

Thanks for any replies.

Jan

A reciprocating saw can take off a finger. My father was a carpenter
and had parts of five fingers cut off two of those were cut twice. It
happens and a spinning saw is not necessary.

What usually is the fault is misusing the tool and that includes using
the wrong tool for the job. If the job calls for a circular saw; you are
likely safer with that than any other saw.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit