Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

Default Buying Home with Old, Open Well

In article , Goedjn says...

On Wed, 24 May 2006 15:47:34 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Goedjn" wrote in message
I wouldn't. Just leave it. Someday, that well may be
the only water available. And you can always irrigate with it.

Could be the main source of water in case of a house fire also.

Hmm... maybe. My impression was that for useful fire-fighting
ability, you need more water than is typically available
in a dug well. If the cistern is a decent size, OP might
think about a least a 2.5" hydrant fitting and maybe
a 4.5" fitting, set a bit away from the house. What's the
standard for that, 5000 gallons?

In rural areas like this they rely on pumpers more (pumper fire trucks),
bringing water. And going to established sources if more is needed.

Banty