Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Default Outdoor Plug... how can I tell if it's broken?

wrote:
Yup, not an electric person - at all.

See, that's the point though - if it is something as simple as pushing
a button to reset the system and suddenly everything comes alive; I'd
hate to pay some 60$ for the 5 minutes (since it's upped to an hour)
and an extra 20 $ to stop by the house.

The pump works (have connected it at other places.)

The pump could well "run" fine when plugged into an non-GFIC protected
outlet, but still have internal electrical leakage rendering it
potentially unsafe.

Unless you have the know how to determine whether all those "other
places" you tried plugging the pump into are in fact GFCI protected
circuits, then it's not correct to assume that the pump is completely OK.

Whatever connection comes up to the 4-plugs, two don't do anything, two
of them turn on four orange lights when something live is plugged into
them.

What do you mean when you say "something live" is plugged into them?
That's sort of a contradiction of terms.

Just wanted to know if the four orange lights means something or not.

I'm reasonably confident that those orange lights are coming on to
indicate that there's a ground fault in what's plugged a receptacle, but
I could be wrong. Four lights sort of seems like more than needed, but
then again, when you said "four plugs" in your OP, I took that to mean
you telling us there were TWO duplex RECEPTACLES there, creating four
places where PLUGS could be inserted.

Posting a photo of those "four plugs" and the "orange lights" may help.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)