Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Portable Air Conditioner Questions

wrote:
I recently moved into a second floor apartment without a window air
conditioner. The only suitable windows for air conditioner placement
are over walkways which makes me very uneasy about putting an A/C in
there. I think my best bet is putting in a portable A/C. I do have a
few questions though. I've been looking at the Sunpentown 1010E units
which are 10000 BTU units. (
http://www.sunpentown.com/ )

1. All the info I see says that these have a LCDI plug. Does this
require a special electrical socket?

2. One website says that the 14000 BTU version requires a 20 AMP
socket. It specifically says

(This unit is designed to operate on a 120-volt/20-amp circuit,
using a specific electrical plug and outlet. If you do not have this
type of outlet or if not enough amperage, contact an electrician who
can install a proper outlet designed to carry the necessary amperage.)

I can't find any info on what the 10000 BTU unit need. I checked my
sockets and they say that they're 15 AMP. Is this enough?

I'm a definite newb when it comes to this stuff. I didn't realize that
there was so much to research. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Tony

Haven't tried one of these, but a priori I would think that
1) they will be noisy
and
2) there is a loss of efficiency, in that you are using the indoor air
which you have cooled with the evaporator to cool the condenser then
blowing it out the window, and replacing it with outdoor air.
Both due to having the whole unit inside the room, instead of hanging
the business end outside.
In practice, of course, i may be totally wrong, as usual.