Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default Buying Home with Old, Open Well

On Wed, 24 May 2006 15:47:34 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Goedjn" wrote in message
I wouldn't. Just leave it. Someday, that well may be
the only water available. And you can always irrigate with it.

Could be the main source of water in case of a house fire also.

Hmm... maybe. My impression was that for useful fire-fighting
ability, you need more water than is typically available
in a dug well. If the cistern is a decent size, OP might
think about a least a 2.5" hydrant fitting and maybe
a 4.5" fitting, set a bit away from the house. What's the
standard for that, 5000 gallons?