Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default Delta Mortiser

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

"warbler" wrote in message
ups.com...
FInally got to use my fancy new Delta (14-651) mortiser last evening.
The set-up and all the other stuff associated with this toy was
relatively straightforward. I did a few test mortises and found the
chisels sharp, easy to swap in and out and simple to fine tune.

After lining up my first actual workpiece on the machine (the leg for
an outdoor bench), I switched on the machine and began to lower the
chisel into the wood. After entering the piece, the handle broke off
the machine. Yikes. I shut off the machine with the chisel half
inbedded in the wood. After closer inspection, the gear that holds the
handle and manages the raising and lowering of the chisel had broken in
half. The cast iron piece had cracjed into pieces. Metal fatigue?

Delta is shipping a new piece, no questions asked.

Not meaning to sound cynical or anything, but shouldn't you be asking some
questions?

I anguished over whether to buy it at Amazon for $140 last week. Didn't
really need it, but such a buy!
The reviews said that the casting wore out real quickly, so I let it go.
Feeling good about that.