Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default Tung Oil?

I have never used tung oil; it seemed too expensive for what it was.

At a garage sale today I bought a large, very old, bottle of pure tung oil
for $0.50.
I emptied it into a clean bottle and found it was a very syrupy brown
liquid. I put in about 10% turp and it thinned up to a reasonable
consistancy.

I put some on a scrap of mahogany, with BLO next to it. It is hard to tell
the two apart, but maybe the tung is a tad lighter. Don't know how it dries
since I just did it.

Does this sound like a usable product, or has it gone bad from long storage?
The brand is "Hope". Seems like a good idea...