Posted to uk.d-i-y
mike

Default Y Plan Vs S Plan

"Roger Mills" wrote in
:

I posted some pictures of what I proposed a while ago, but i don't
think anyone commented - so I'll have another go.

This is what it looks like at present.
http://www.mills37.plus.com/cylinder.JPG

I propose to replace the 3-port valve with 2 x 2-port valves, but I
need to take the pipes up higher and back down again in order to get
them in - but there will be a vent pipe connected to the highest
point. I also propose to install an atomatic by-pass valve and to tee
its output into the cylinder return. [The HW and CH returns join under
the floor, somewhere.] After modification, it would look something
like: http://www.mills37.plus.com/cylinder2.JPG

Can anyone see any problems with this arrangement?

It looks a lot like mine, only my valves are stacked vertically.

I haven't used a bypass, as I have no TRV on my hall rad where the
thermostat is, also there's a bathroom rad/towel rail.

If that's really bad, perhaps someone would tell me!

With new, rather neater pipework and wiring, and the valves all in a row,
it looks quite nice.

I'm a bit concerned about the gate valve on the return pipe - if I read it
right, ISTM it's a bit dodgy to be able to close off the whole circulation
like that - but I'm an amateur, and may be wrong, the original installation
didn't have one, so I didn't fit one.

And if I had it would be a ball valve :-)

mike