Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Default Outdoor Plug... how can I tell if it's broken?

wrote:
Bought a house -

Long story short there's a fountain with a "Red Dot Code Keeper" set
up, I flipped the fuse for it and when I plug something in an orange
light comes on next to each plug (there are 4 total). - when plugged in
to the left two plugs. The right two plugs, nothign comes on - no
lights or anything.

Any case, nothing works - besides the orange light, there's nothing
showing wether it's working or not - the fountain doesn't come on, or
any other appliance I stick in the thing, but just those little orange
lights. I can't find anything online about what it means, any
instructions... soo... any electricians know about this, or what I can
do to get the fountain to start working again?

Thanks

The "Red Dot Code Keeper" is just a wet location receptical safety cover.

Your fountain pump prolly has developed an internal electrical leak to
ground, and there's very likely one or GFCI receptical there feeding a
second downstream non-GFCI one(and possible maybe even a GFCI breaker in
the panel, feeding that circuit) which sensed a fault in the pump and
did their job by shutting off the power.

I respectfully suggest that if your knowledge of electrics is so limited
that you'd say you "flipped the fuse" that you'd be better off
protecting yourself and others from serious injury or death by getting a
qualified person to diagnose and repair the problem. It may be as simple
as replacing the fountain pump or perhaps it will be more difficult if
moisture has invaded whatever conduit or whathaveyou which brings power
ot to those recepticals.

HTH,

Jeff

--