Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default Buying Home with Old, Open Well

On Wed, 24 May 2006 13:37:59 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

herlihyboy wrote:
I hope this is relevant to this group. We are looking at buying a
home. When the seller built the home, he lived in a trailer on the
property while building it. During that time, his water came from a
well [brick-lined, open] and he said the quality was bad. So, he put
in a cistern to service the new home instead of using the well [home
and cistern are ~10 years old].

Is it legal to sell the home with the well open? It has a heavy,
metal lid over the opening, but I'm wondering more about the laws
around whether or not he is required to fill the well before selling
it? We may choose to include that in our contract anyway.

We're in SW Indiana.

Thanks,

Ryan

I would suggest that you contact your local county and or state
authorities.

I wouldn't. Just leave it. Someday, that well may be
the only water available. And you can always irrigate with it.