Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Default painting cast Iron...

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

If concrete can be made to look good, a cast iron bell wouldn't be much of a
challenge.

OK, I should have been more clear. If it is done the way it is tought to
church-painters (a friend has a masters degree) it is a damned lot of
work. Preparing the surface, sanding, filling, sanding, ... and finally
polishing the gold with an achat.

Only if you desire it to look machined would it be much of a
chore.

ACK

Fact is, gold leaf applied to slightly irregular surfaces has
considerably more character than it does on perfectly flat surfaces.

ACK. That's what I meant with "still looking good". Doing it the easy
way makes it look "antique".

Nick
--
The kit-DRO