Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Harbor Freight

On Tue, 23 May 2006 21:23:58 -0700, Nonnymus wrote:

Bob S. wrote:
Shopdog wrote:
DECENT QUALITY? Guess you haven't bought any combination wrenches yet huh?
Well, the quality of those are horrible, some are not even the correct size
and when you use them they expand and slip on the nut. Most of the air tools
( at least the ones that I have) are pretty good, they have been holding up
for over a year now with no complaints. The welding wire is good, and the
sand blasting equipment is decent. I guess some of the stuff is good, but
like I said the hand tools are crap.

Searcher

I buy there fairly often - but am careful of what I buy. I've bought
crescent wrenches, hammers, clamps, "dremel" accessories, tarps, and
wheels and have been quite satisfied. However saw blades were a
disappointment.

Bob S.

I, too, am a fan of Harbor Freight and shop at our local
stores frequently. I am quite familiar with the differences
between "good" and "bad" quality tools. If you shop at
their stores, looking and handling a tool will give you a
pretty quick indication about its fit and finish. Today, I
looked at screwdrivers that I could probably twist in half
with my own hands, and also at some that I would probably
pass along to my children. What I especially like is their
in-store specials.

Today, I bought a 600' drum of 3/8" polypropylene braided
rope for $10. It's about the size of clothes line and is
perfect for tying down things in the pickup. I also bought
6 of their $3 flyswatters to give to folks. They use 2
D-cells and really nuke a fly or bug when they come in
contact with the grid. I found a $3 multimeter that is
shirt-pocket sized and similar to another I keep on the
bench. I bought it to give to a neighbor boy who's starting
to assemble his own toolbox.

If you don't know what you are buying, then Harbor Freight
is just like pot luck. However, if you have experience with
tools, including power tools and even bench and floor tools,
then you can get some really good deals.

Nonnymus

I personally try to avoid places like that. I have only dealt with a
few items from Harbor Freight, and I would rate them as tolerable for
the average homeowner, but not for a professional. I must say that I
also bought from Homier. Their stuff is pure garbage. They do not
stand behind their stuff either. In fact I bought a defective power
tool which was defective right out of the box. They refused to even
return my calls. After I contacted the Better Business Bureau, they
finally contacted me, but still refused to replace or repair the tool.
I would not recommend Homier to anyone. Compared to Homier, Harbor
Freight seems like top of the line.

For me, being a farmer and retired handyman, I tend to only buy name
brand tools. I have busted far too many knuckles using cheap tools.