Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Portable Air Conditioner Questions

I recently moved into a second floor apartment without a window air
conditioner. The only suitable windows for air conditioner placement
are over walkways which makes me very uneasy about putting an A/C in
there. I think my best bet is putting in a portable A/C. I do have a
few questions though. I've been looking at the Sunpentown 1010E units
which are 10000 BTU units. ( http://www.sunpentown.com/ )

1. All the info I see says that these have a LCDI plug. Does this
require a special electrical socket?

2. One website says that the 14000 BTU version requires a 20 AMP
socket. It specifically says

(This unit is designed to operate on a 120-volt/20-amp circuit,
using a specific electrical plug and outlet. If you do not have this
type of outlet or if not enough amperage, contact an electrician who
can install a proper outlet designed to carry the necessary amperage.)

I can't find any info on what the 10000 BTU unit need. I checked my
sockets and they say that they're 15 AMP. Is this enough?

I'm a definite newb when it comes to this stuff. I didn't realize that
there was so much to research. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Tony