Robin S.

Default Machinist tools- what should a begginer buy?

"Anthony" wrote in message

Hrmmm...
Maybe the prices have dramatically increased in the last few years...but
I paid $180 for a Starrett combination set of 0-6" caliper, with depth
gauge attachment and 0-1" mic both in the case, new.

What kind of caliper? I assume vernier when it is not specified. Starrett's
only 6" vernier caliper is their Master and worth over $500 Cnd funds. Thier
dial and digital calipers are more inline with Mitutoyo, although still more
expensive.

The combination
square set wasn't too bad either. $200 IIRC.

We sell them for about $220 Cnd.

The original poster said they wanted quality tools, to last. Kind of my
philosophy too...sure...I can buy an import quality tool every year or
two, or I can purchase a quality tool for a bit more money and it be the
last one I ever need to buy.

True, but I would never suggest someone who's just starting out with a hobby
to invest big money in the best tools when they don't even know if they will
like the hobby.

Precision tools go for pennies on the dollar when autioned on eBay.

Personal choice I guess.
If I don't NEED it right away, I would prefer to wait until I can afford
to buy the better quality tool.
If I NEED it right now...the best quality I can afford at the time is
what I get.

True. That works when you're starting out and will be doing the work for the
next 30-40 years. Not for hobbyist. Those dollars could be better spent on a
mill (and its tooling) or materials, or perhaps next week's grocery bill.

Regards,

Robin