Anthony

Default Machinist tools- what should a begginer buy?

"Robin S." wrote in
:

"Anthony" wrote in message
For Inch Measurements..

0-6 calipers (Brown & Sharp, Starrett, Mahr, or Mitutoyo)
0-1 Micrometer and maybe a 1-2, depending on how big of work you are
doing.
Precision Combination Square set (Starrett)
Set of Small bore gauges
Magnetic Base,
Last word indicator, 0-1 indicator and 0-3 indicator
Radius Gauge
Thread Gauge

Anthony, you have expensive tasts. Especially the precision
combination square set from Starrett and the last work indicator. Oh,
and take the $350 Starrett 6" calipers out of there ;-)

Hrmmm...
Maybe the prices have dramatically increased in the last few years...but
I paid $180 for a Starrett combination set of 0-6" caliper, with depth
gauge attachment and 0-1" mic both in the case, new. The combination
square set wasn't too bad either. $200 IIRC.
The original poster said they wanted quality tools, to last. Kind of my
philosophy too...sure...I can buy an import quality tool every year or
two, or I can purchase a quality tool for a bit more money and it be the
last one I ever need to buy. Personal choice I guess.
If I don't NEED it right away, I would prefer to wait until I can afford
to buy the better quality tool.
If I NEED it right now...the best quality I can afford at the time is
what I get.

--
Anthony

better idiots.