Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default Gas central heater wiring

Lets see.

Hum - my power line is 2 phase with overhead ground. Lines are 500' or thereabouts.

(two phase - 2 of 3 phases - inverted V for 3 phase transformers... this is farm/ranch area)

The shop has a transformer for itself - underground fed to the shop - nice big circuit box.
The house is about 400' down the line (shop at 300) with its own transformer.
Then at the end of the line - at the 500' - two more transformers tapped on each line
and a heavy termination ground. - Transmission line theory.

I explained it to my area Electric company Tech. He wondered of the wasted transformers.
They absorb line transients that run up and down the highway.
My HV taps the highway lines and brings in the run. The spikes transmit to the end of the
line that is terminated - where most of the spike is absorbed.

If the transformers were not there - it would reflect off the end and slam into the highway.
Ring, Ring... Remember the blackout - not enough balancing going on...

Being tapped on mid sections - is the best place. Being on the end is the worst.
Some of us don't have an option. But if you can put in 1 more pole and maybe 50' of wire
to it - a short extension - it can go in any direction - then get the power company to
hang two under power (normally junk) transformers on the pole - you have protection.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member
http://lufkinced.com/

Peter Wiley wrote:
In article , Bruce L.
Bergman wrote:

On Wed, 17 May 2006 12:41:20 +1000, Mastic not@thisaddress wrote:

Agh, sorry. Many an error between finger and keyboard and that should
read 1000 square foot garage.
I cant resist a garage boast, four cars wide, fully lined and
insulated, something over 30 fluro lights and genuine 440V three phase
mains power.

Waitaminit - who at the power utility did you have to threaten with
blackmail pictures of the mistress and motel to get three phase?!

Piece of cake, I had it run into my 3.5 acre place for a few grand, my
contrib to the transformer out on the road. 90 amps per phase. Oh yeah,
I'm in Australia too.

You guys are sooooo backward when it comes to power provision :-)

PDW