Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

Default painting cast Iron...

On 23 May 2006 12:46:02 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

I'm trying to find a way to turn cast Iron into gold, and I have about
2 weeks to do it! I am running a cooking competition for a Bluegrass
festival in KY and I need to get a cast Iron dinner bell painted
(preferably gold) for the prize. This is somthing that is going to be
used year after year, so it needs to be fairly good at retaining its
paint, but i don't want to fudge upt he acoustics too much. I know I
must stay away from oil based paints, can anyone give me an idea?
should I just say to hell with it and look for a (much more expensive)
brass bell? or can this idea be salvaged?

There's a local company who just perfected a metallic spray for most
bases. It's in a resin body but it sprays on thin, leaving a metallic
overcoat which will take on a patina if it isn't sealed. (More info
once I've contacted them again.)

Alternatively, see HF for a $10 Titanic replica bell.

---
In Christianity, neither morality nor religion comes into contact
with reality at any point. --FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE
- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development -