Robin S.

Default Machinist tools- what should a begginer buy?

"Anthony" wrote in message
For Inch Measurements..

0-6 calipers (Brown & Sharp, Starrett, Mahr, or Mitutoyo)
0-1 Micrometer and maybe a 1-2, depending on how big of work you are
doing.
Precision Combination Square set (Starrett)
Set of Small bore gauges
Magnetic Base,
Last word indicator, 0-1 indicator and 0-3 indicator
Radius Gauge
Thread Gauge

Anthony, you have expensive tasts. Especially the precision combination
square set from Starrett and the last work indicator. Oh, and take the $350
Starrett 6" calipers out of there ;-)

Personally, I'd just tool up with mostly imported tools. You may want to
spend the bucks on the calipers (Mitutoyo are fairly reasonable) and the
micrometer (again with the Mitutoyo).

Definitely need the 1" plunge indicator + mag base combination (import
quality) as well as a banana-type test indicator holder and a .0005" dial
test indicator (for the mill, also import quality).

You'll probably need a bull peen hammer, a deadblow hammer, a center punch,
a scriber (carbide is not necessary, but nice) a good set of hex keys
(Bondhaus is good, Ekland are OK). Get the keys, not the fold-outs. I'd go
for the ball-end, although they are close to twice the price.

You'll also need a fixed square (on the mill). Bevelled edge is better but
more expensive (import quality - band names are wicked money).

Edge-finder for the mill. There are other ways to do it, but the premium
imports work well and are not too expensive.

You'll also need files. Buy the Swiss-, American- or Canadian-made ones.
Cheap files are useless. A 10-12" flat *******, a 10-12" flat 2nd cut (lathe
type is nice for deburring pieces - which is what I use this file for all
the time). You'll probably also want a 6" flat 2nd cut or smooth and a set
of needle files (import quality is alright for the needle files - the good
ones are big money).

Some say a file card is not necessary (and may be detrimental to your files)
although I'm not convinced it's a big issue (after filing for 6 weeks, 32
hours/week, using a file card to clean my files). Get some blackboard chalk
for your files.

When you buy HSS toolbits for the lathe, don't buy Chinese. Get the highest
cobalt content you can afford (7% is good). You _will_ need a bench
grinder... No, they don't come presharpened. No, brazed carbide cutters are
not useful without sharpening. Don't be cheap ;-)

That's all I can think of for now..

Regards,

Robin