Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Default A/C vacuum pump

wrote:
But what in the world would "pre-charged" mean? Does that just mean it
has been pressure tested? Or are they shipping the parts with
refrigerant inside?

Doesn't sound right, to me, but I'll stick to software and call the
HVAC guys for AC.

For new contruction, i.e. a house that is going up, refrigerant tubing
is often supplied by the kits builders in a precharged state. Leak
tested and ready to go, there is next to nothing needed in the way of
additional refrigerant to make the system usable. I got my system
replaced and got new refrigerant tubing installed. The contractor used
precharged tubing. After market may be prechargted, and often is, but
also may come open at the ends needing a leak test and many pounds of
refrigerant added.