Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

Default Solar water heating and combi boilers

On Mon, 22 May 2006 08:15:23 +0100, David Hansen wrote:

On Sun, 21 May 2006 08:51:20 GMT someone who may be John Stumbles
wrote this:-

IIRC the electrical output of a microCHP rig is in the order of
kilowatts. That's a lot of lighting, even without using low-energy
lamps.

Indeed, which is why it was an example. However, unless every building
is to have such a plant I doubt if all the plants will produce more than
the total lighting load. Every street light will not have such a unit.

My original question was what to do with the surplus electricity. Indeed
I'm not sure what the regs are, currently, wrt to connecting microCHP into
a mains installation. I understand suppliers are concerned about the risk
of their engineers getting fried by power fed back from a CHP generator
into what would otherwise be a dead part of the system under fault
conditions.

Apart from that are there ways of selling surplus power (I recall someone
talking about trading RECs)? Or does one just give it away?