Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house
Daniel Ganek

Default Remodel kitchen - cabinet depth refrigerator?

Tom wrote:
Looks like I might need to buy a refrigerator prior to remodeling my
kitchen. I'm told by contractors that I should buy a cabinet-depth
fridge (side-by-side), but I get different explanations of what that
means. Near as I can tell, the box (excluding door) should be 23-24"
deep, and the maximum total depth including handles should be 28".
Does that sound about right?

Yes, but be warned that cabinet depth (and built-ins) have less capacity
for the same width as a regular refrig. If you're replacing a 36"
wide refrig you'll need at least a 42" or 48" cabinet depth. Also, the
refrig capacity of a side-by-side is less than capacity of one with a
bottom drawer freezer.

We recently replaced our Sub-Zero (bottom freezer) with a side-by-side
and are sorry we did.

/dan