Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Rich

Default Do driveway sealers really do anything?

Well you could always just let it go and if you are in a climate that has
freeze and thaw periods you can see if water seeps under and disturbs your
asphalt during these F&T periods. If it does you will know better next time
around that it is not just cosmetic.

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
I'm sure this has been debated before......

I have an aging asphalt (black top) driveway and I am thinking of coating
it with driveway sealer (whether by myself or hire someone to do it).
Does this really do anything for the driveway other than make it look
cosmetically more appealing and perhaps fill in any small/minor cracks?
It would seem that this would only be more cosmetic than anything else.
The need would arise maybe 2-3 years down the road to do it again, or have
the driveway repaved.
The brands/types I've seen appear to all be basically the same, lasting
anywhere from 2 to 5 years. Some have a sand mix supposedly helping the
dried surface be a bit more coarse an making the surface not as slipper on
rain/snow for tracktion. And why are they all called 'airport grade'?

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Wally