Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Default Do driveway sealers really do anything?

"Walter Cohen" wrote:

I have an aging asphalt (black top) driveway and I am thinking of coating it
with driveway sealer (whether by myself or hire someone to do it).
Does this really do anything for the driveway other than make it look
cosmetically more appealing and perhaps fill in any small/minor cracks? It
would seem that this would only be more cosmetic than anything else. The
need would arise maybe 2-3 years down the road to do it again, or have the
driveway repaved.

I suspect it depends on the climate where you live and the type of undersurface.
If the temps drop below freezing, then recoating the drive will keep water from
getting in the cracks and freezing, thus extending the life of the driveway
somewhat.

If you live in a warm climate, or the asphalt is laid over a porous surface,
then it probably won't do much. Most of the cracks I've seen appear to be due to
settling or movement of the undersurface. Sealing won't do anything about
those...