Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default which lawn fertilizer to use?

I suggest that you contact your local county extension office. They
will give you free, good advice without being tainted with the pressure to
sell you something.

In my area, it is best to fertilize in the fall and maybe a little in
the spring but nothing during the summer. But each area is different. The
lawn products people want you to fertilize early and often, often causing
more damage than good for your lawn. Too much fertilizer or fertilizer at
the wrong time is a bad ideal and hard on a lawn, even though it may make it
nice an green and healthy looking for a week or two.

You should also have your soil tested as that will provide the
information the country extension agents can use to advise you. They will
be able to help you out with that as well.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
"tenplay" wrote in message
news
I have been trying to upgrade my front lawn. Last month I reseeded a
10'x10' bald area, and it's starting to look pretty good. I might even mow
the area for the first time next week. I've been reading that one has to
fertilize the lawn regularly to nourish the lawn and discourage weeds.
Someone suggested that the best fertilizer would be a 16x16x16 mix with
lime. Is that right? Would it be ok to apply it to the newly reseeded
area too? I live in Western Washington, where we get more rain than most.
In fact it's drizzling right now. Thanks for any advice.