Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

Default How do I get my soil-filled pool back into operation?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I have bought a house with a pool full of soil. The previous owners did
not want it anymore and filled it with dirt. It is now a big flower
bed.

We have had thoughts about fixing it up. I would like to get some tips
what to think about? What can we do ourself and what needs to be done
by professionals?

It is a 9 meter long inground concrete pool and they drilled a few
holes in the bottom before they filled it. All equipment is taken away.
Pipes are probably still there.

Looking at the tiles it looks like we would like to replace them with
another surface/tile. What is recommended?

Chuckle. I've seen that on a few houses around here. A big concrete patio
with a pool house, and a concrete-edged flower bed. Odds are they did more
than drill a few holes, or the thing would be a swamp whenever it rained.
You're basically starting from scratch here- frost heave has likely cracked
the old gunnite walls, and the pipes are probably full of rust and crud. But
having said that, step one is to dig out all the dirt (by hand, so you don't
break whatever is left down there), and pile it somewhere, to see exactly
what you do have. Once the dirt is out, a pool contractor can tell you if
anything is salvagable, and the cost to get it going. My hunch is they will
tell you to rip it all out and start over. You then get to decide if you
want a pool that much, or if you should just bust up the visible concrete
edging, drop it in the hole, and put the dirt you saved back in there.

aem sends...