Posted to uk.d-i-y
John White

Default New Light Fitting doesn't have a terminal for a "LOOP" wire.

"Cherry" wrote:

I am currently installing new light fittings through out my house (not
rewiring)and have had no problems.

Yesterday I have removed the hallway light to replace it with a new
downlight (non transformer type) only to discover that instead of the
standard 2 groups of wires (+ & - ) this existing fitting has also got
an extra wire into another terminal on the block identified as loop ?.
The problem is that my new fittings only have positions for a positive
and negitive and no extra terminal for a loop ?

The two groups of wires should be called "Live (L)" and "Neutral (N)"
rather than "+" and "-" .

"Loop" is used to carry the live feed to other lights on the same
circuit and I would also expect you to have at least two wires going
into the terminal.

There is also presumably a separate earth terminal (bare wires -
sleeved with green/yellow). If not then you may have issues that go
beyond new light fittings.

Is there a way I can use this fitting or will I have to purchase a
different type ?

Yes you can use this fitting.

The correct way to deal with the wiring is to replace the ceiling rose
(the bit on the ceiling) with a junction box above the ceiling, so
that you just have one cable to connect your new light fitting to.

There are diagrams of how to do this on the web, and no doubt a link
will be along in a minute.

I have also discovered that all fittings in this half of the house
(bedrooms ,bathroom) have the same issue. Being a Mechanic and not a
"Cone head"" I'm not sure why half the house is one way and the other
half the other.

A mix of "Loop-in" ceiling roses and other types is quite normal.

If this becomes to hard I will just hire an electrician

It can be costly call an electrician a "cone head", even here in
Derbyshire. :-)

next time he's available (I live in a country town).

In Australia judging by your email address. :-)

John
--
John White,
Electrical Contractor