Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Getting Three Estimates from Contractors

I like to get a feel for any potential clients on the phone to make
sure they really have an interest, and that they aren't just kicking
the tires. If they are kicking the tires, I usually give them a five
minute education on the phone, and a round number for repairs or
maintenance, which is what I specialize in. One of the first things I
do is find out who referred me to them so I can get a feel for what
type of client (by association) they might be for me, and see if we can
be a good fit for their requests.

I do not go to see clients on the weekend unless I am backed up, or
they are in some kind of trouble and need something fast. There is no
reason for me to waste a family day talking to somebody that didn't
think enough of what he or she is getting into to take an hour off work
during the week. Worse, if they have so little respect for your work
ethic and responsibilities, think how they will be later on. Those
folks don't ever think that you had a long tiring week doing your
stuff; they think it is your job to exhaust yourself, and if you aren't
willing to do that some are honestly amazed. Years ago I actually had
some prospective clients tell me that I needed to make a decision on
whether I was a family man or a business man. I now only see past
clients of mine on the weekend at their request, but funny, it doesn't
happen but maybe once a year. No kiddin'!

I have been in business long enough for myself (coming up on 25 years)
that I don't really care much about my fellow contractor's bids. We
are all different people, and we all bid differently. I have built
enough of a clientele over the years that I no longer have to sit
politely across from some pudgy, balding, bespectled accountant in a
golf shirt that is spending more time telling me about his summer "in
the trades" that lets him know "where I'm coming from" than his own
project. I don't spend too much time listening to some frustrated
husband trying to deconstruct my estimate so he can proudly announce to
his spouse how much money they think I am making. My idea of "Let's
make a deal" is "please read the estimate".

I don't care if anyone else is bidding on the job or not. My price is
the same no matter what, and that is probably why I have repeat
business without too many competitive bid situations.

A lot of my best clients are women. They know what they want. They
have a plan. They have a budget. They are usually ready to go. They
don't try to impress me with their 6 week stint as a construction
worker during spring break one year. I don't have to listen to some
nitwit babble on about "man stuff". And best of all, they don't show
off for their spouse by showing them they know how to handle
construction people.

My work is all word of mouth and referral. In almost 25 years, I have
advertised twice, and it got the me the kind of clients I didn't want.
I do all my business on my cell phone so I can be easily reached, and
know almost all of my clients by first name. My phone calls usually
start with "Hey Robert... how's it going? I was wondering if you could
stop by sometime soon and see me about _________________________".
fill in the blank

Stay in the business long enough and do good work, and your business
and clients will take care of you. Then the bull**** factor goes to
half, you get better jobs with more money in them, and the people know
about your work and don't mind paying for extra if they know they are
getting exactly what they want.

Robert