Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Default Removing an awkward circlip

It happens that Dave Liquorice formulated :
On Tue, 23 May 2006 09:12:21 +0100, Frank Stacey wrote:

In order to remove the springs I "simply" have to remove a circlip but
it consists of an o-ring of metal with a small segment removed.

A circlip normally has to bits sticking out each side of the gap with
holes in into which you fit the prongs of a pair of circlip pliers.

What you have sound more like a C-clip, at least thats wat I call 'em:

http://www.cancutter.com/circlip.jpg (yes i know they call it a
circlip...)

With these push against the two prongs, and get a lever into the one of
the recesses. Be careful, they fly really well into the darkest corner of
the room you are in. B-)

I thought he meant a wire type, rather than the pressed steel type.

A dental probe (straight shaft with a right angled sharp pointy bit at
the end) thingummy works well on the wire types. Failing that, a couple
of jewellers screwdrivers - one to stop it rotating, the other to try
to hook the end out of the groove.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)