Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Default Running Cat5e cable underground

Phil formulated the question :
wrote:
Phil wrote:

Chips wrote:
Well, the time has finally come to shift most of the computers out into
the garage (apparently).
Having already got enough power out there I need to put in a fat data
pipe to connect the lot to the house switch - cat5e will do nicely
because I have lots. Wireless is an absolute worst case scenario both
for speed and price and we need to connect to the servers for data
(video/music etc).

The garage is not connected to the house and is separated by about 3m of
paving/drive/whatnot.

Any suggestions for running the cable ?
I'm aware that pushing it through the same conduit as the power is a
no-go and I really don't want to dig up the drive unless I have to. I
suppose I could take it under a patio and through some of the lawn if I
must. On top of that I naturally don't want to spend very much time or
effort.

Chips.

--
-----------
Chips'll make it better.

Stick your cat5e in the conduit with the power - you won't get any
problems. In industry, it's rarely possible to get any separation of
the two - I've never had a problem.

It won't conform to the IEE wiring regulations though, they require
either 50mm separation or 'physical' separation which seems to mean in
practice a divider in the conduit/trunking.

I agree that it will almost certainly work perfectly well.

--
Chris Green

So? The IEE won't be inspecting it.
Presumably the power installation has already been passed.

It will work perfectly well, but that does not mean it is safe.
Probably the only inspection will be after someone is killed or injured
should the insulation fail and 240v get onto the CAT5.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)