Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil

Default Running Cat5e cable underground

Chips wrote:
Well, the time has finally come to shift most of the computers out into
the garage (apparently).
Having already got enough power out there I need to put in a fat data
pipe to connect the lot to the house switch - cat5e will do nicely
because I have lots. Wireless is an absolute worst case scenario both
for speed and price and we need to connect to the servers for data
(video/music etc).

The garage is not connected to the house and is separated by about 3m of
paving/drive/whatnot.

Any suggestions for running the cable ?
I'm aware that pushing it through the same conduit as the power is a
no-go and I really don't want to dig up the drive unless I have to. I
suppose I could take it under a patio and through some of the lawn if I
must. On top of that I naturally don't want to spend very much time or
effort.

Chips.

--
Chips'll make it better.

Stick your cat5e in the conduit with the power - you won't get any
problems. In industry, it's rarely possible to get any separation of
the two - I've never had a problem.