Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Larry Wolfrum

Default Nailing tongue and groove flooring

The project for this weekend is to start installing 1 x 6 tongue & groove
pine plank flooring in our summer lake cottage. I am trying to decide
between
using a nailer that shoots cleat nails or or one that shoots staples. One
person
I spoke to thought that staples held better. The cottage is unheated during
the winter
months -- the location is in southwestern Michigan near Kalamazoo. Because
of the
variation in temperature there might be a bit more than the normal movement
of the wood throughout the course of the year. Any recommendations?

Also, the first row of planks to be installed is parallel to an 8 foot patio
door. I
could use some ideas on how to fill the gap I need to leave between the
first
plank and the aluminum track at the bottom of the door.