Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

Default Looking for floor cover/mat ideas

"mac davis"
We're hoping that our new house will be finished in a few months and I'm
sort of
planning my shop..

My 1st priority before moving stuff in is protecting the floor, which will
be
ceramic tile... not sure yet if they're using 9 or 12" tiles, we pick
these out
next weekend..

Two goals in mind:

1.. protect the tile from dropped tools, machines being rolled around
shop,
etc....

2.. some cushion for walking and ability to roll lathes and saws around
without
bogging them down..

I'll use as many anti-fatiage mats as needed, but only at needed areas
since I
have the kind that are supposed to link together... they never seem to
stay
linked, especially when you're rolling tools around..

My wife is thinking indoor-outdoor carpet but i'm not sure how sweepable
or
vacuumable that would be...

Any suggestions??
Mac

Mac, are you asking about protecting the shop floor or the house floor
during the move-in and setup?

If the shop floor is tile already, (this is your Baja House correct?), just
cover it with 2 layers of Polyethylene sheeting and a layer of heavy paper
then lay 2"x4" 12" OC sleepers the 3/4" floor rated sheeting plywood. Its a
lot, especially in Mexico.

On second thought, it might be less money to to lay the 2 layers of
Polyethylene sheeting down and pour a 1-2" concrete floor over the tile.
This way your could remove the floor and save the tile work.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com