Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus18798

Default ANNOUNCEMENT: metalworking wiki page

http:// metalworking .algebra .com/

This is a metalworking wiki page that anyone can edit. All content
here exists under GNU Free Documentation License, which means that
anyone (anyone in the world) could use or republish this content,
under some GNU style limitations.

Wiki (MediaWiki) is software that allows collaborative editing of wiki
pages in an easy manner, keeps history of changes etc.

This page is not a property of any individual, including myself. It is
a community resource. Specifically, anyone can download a snapshot of
the database (location to be soon announced), or cut and paste webpage
text, and set up a mirror on their website or server. No permission is
needed for this.

The more mirrors, the better!

The following are some things that could be posted he

1) Metalworking HOWTOs (answers to small questions such as "how to
measure thread pitch) are quite welcome here too, it is meant to be
used with one page per single "issue".

2) Description of members' projects (anyone can upload project
descriptions and pictures).

3) Discussions (pages where opposing viewpoints are presented fairly),
of metalworking issues only, however, NO POLITICS WHATSOEVER IS
ALLOWED.

CONTROL: I plan on having many people with administrative privileges.

SPAM: there are many spammers (medications, mortgages etc) who have
automated software packages that spam wikis. These packages even
register wiki accounts. We cannot keep up with them if we allow
unregistered users to make changes, or anonymous registration.

In any case, no account or permission is needed to view the pages.

Therefore, after initial period, anonymous persons would not be
allowed to contribute or register. (Again, no account or permission is
needed to view the pages)

Right now, anyone can register on the wiki and make changes. That will
change after a few days. My suggestion is that we have many sysops
(persons who can create accounts), and requests to become a member
should be posted to this newsgroup.

So... Let's register, I will make pretty much everyone a sysop in a
couple of days, and then I will change to registration with sysop
permission only. I would prefer to eventually be in a position of
having a community of people who keep this page healthy.

I will also set up nightly backups that could be downloaded by
anyone.

I see my role here as a maintainer of the space, not of some sort of a
"leader" etc.