Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

Default humming sound from receiver

"JANA" wrote in message
This confirms a separate set of filter caps for each side. The thing here,
is that someone would have to know the specific model design, or have it
opened on their service bench in order to even start making assumptions of
what the fault may be.

--

JANA
_____

How exactly does this confirm a separate set of filter caps for each side ?
Let me say again, as far as I recall, the Yamaha R9 has a single multi-rail
power supply, which feeds everything. It's not a model that I've seen
frequently, so I wasn't absolutely sure about this. However, electricitym
confirmed in his post of the 22nd at 00:10 that this is the case. So, he
does know the specific model, and made all of the same comments in his post,
that I had : viz a single power supply feeding both channels, is unlikely to
be the cause of hum on one channel only, and that front end ground issues
are more likely to be the cause of the problem. I don't really think that
either of us was making assumptions about what is wrong with the equipment.
We were merely offering pointers to the probable fault areas, based on many
years' experience of repairing this stuff commercially.

Also, I don't want to make big issue over it, but top posting does get
confusing for people trying to follow the thread. It sometimes makes it
difficult to follow just exactly which comment you are responding to. The
common convention is to bottom post, which I accept also has its drawbacks,
but if we all stick to the same convention, it makes it easier all round :-)

Glad you like my little words. It injects a bit of light-hearted humour, if
nothing else. I'm surprised you haven't come across " Kwaka ". It's a fairly
world-wide ( I think ) slang term for a Kawasaki motor cycle - hence Franc's
comment about horsepower. d;~}

Arfa