Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Day

Default Tagua Nut Advice Sought

On Sat, 20 May 2006 22:53:50 GMT, "george" wrote:

.. The article suggests sanding
down flat one end of the nut and gluing it to a 1" dowel with Super Glue.
I've tried this with old glue, new glue, waiting an hour, or clamping it
overnight. In all cases, the glue joint has failed as I begin trying to
rough the nut into round, no matter how gently I try to work with the gouge.

All further suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

George

adding to the other good suggestions, it sometimes happens that a nut
that is not 'quite' dried will have a bit of oil in it, so when you
try to glue, it is not gripping well. A little solvent wiped over the
flat spot before applying glue may help. Being sure both the dowel and
the nut base are flat is important, as is using the medium-thick
glue. The tail stock allows you to do the bumpy roughing with relative
safety.