Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

Default replacing single ceramic wall tile

On 20 May 2006 11:32:02 -0500, "James"
wrote:

Hi,

Recently a soap holder fell off my bathroom wall. I never used it so I am
not concerned about replacing it. It was stuck to the tile using tile
adhesive and screws (which are now rusted beyond use). The only option I can
see to clean this tile up is to remove it and replace it.

However, I think that the tiles were layed on top of existing tiles by the
previous house owner. I have looked into methods of removing tiles from
walls but am a bit concerned about not damaging the underlying surface. Is
there anything I can do to minimise the impact to the previous tiles?

Thanks,

James

De-grout around the edges and then hit it with a tack hammer to break
it and pull the shards off. Be delicate and you won't have trouble.
The important bit is removing the old grout to release the edges.