Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Default Design for built in bedroom cupboard.

Mark wrote:
Hi,

I want to make a built-in type bedroom cupboard in a corner of a
bedroom. I've not done much woodworking before so I hoped that
somebody here would give me some ideas on how it could be done.

The cupboard should go in a corner and span an area up to a small
chimney breast. Ideally I wish to hide the chimney breast by putting
bookshelves in front of it and edging it with something that matches
the cupboard.

Now: After:
--------+ +----------------+ --------+ +----------------+
| | | | | |
+------+ | |------| Cupboard |
| | Books| |
| +----Doors-------+

Can anyone help with ideas for the design detail and suggest some
materials? The whole thing could be white in colour and I don't
want to spend much on this ;-) The cupboard will have shelves used
for storing children's toys.

If there are any guides on the web with similar projects I would be
very interested. (I did consider buying a B&Q wardrobe but rejected
the idea as I could not find a suitable part for going on the left
on the chimney.)

Thanks for reading this.

Regards,
Mark

Essentially 2 freestanding boxes bolted together. If you're using
contiboard, get the pieces cut to size from standard widths so you have
a finished edge for the front. If the doors can be a standard width
(12", 15", 18" etc) you won't have edging to do.
Carcass screws are good for assembly if you can live with black
screwheads everywhere.
Personally I'd go for the B&Q or Ikea wardrobe and build something to
match for the books. Doors and hinges are a pain if you haven't done
this sort of thing before but you can't go wrong with the shelves. Bear
in mind that the wardrobe bit should have a rigid back or you'll never
get the doors to hang straight