Posted to uk.d-i-y
Anna Kettle

Default mortar is dissolving!

On 22 May 2006 02:51:27 -0700, wrote:

wrote:
I've got a lower corner of my house and the corner of a nearby garage
suffering from dissolving mortar. Because they are separate buildings I
can't work out what it could be - rain water blowing into the
brick/poor guttering or a mains leak underneath the house...it's a
newish house still under 10yr house builders guarantee - just- perhaps
it's just crap mortar!

Yes sounds like crap mortar. as though it never set properly on day 1.
Maybe it dried out before setting, maybe the mortar wasnt mixed
properly, maybe ...

As the man says, repoint. Dont waste energy chasing up NHBG guarantees

Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____|
www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642