Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

Default Blown compressor tank

I saw a program about that and they mentioned that a large part of the
problem was due to debonding of the adhesive so the rivets took all the
load which wasn't intended. It was mentioned that Boeing tightened
their procedures for the conditions under which the bonding took place
after those early planes were made and Aloha hadn't been carrying out
the checks properly to detect telltales signs of the problem.

Its something I consider when I see people querying about bonding car
panels and what conditions they are done under. Temperature, humidity,
surface prep can have a critical effect.

SteveF wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message

"RoyJ" wrote

A good reminder to drain your tank regularly.

I don't see a lot of rust or corrosion. Even looks shiny.

Steve

Might just be fatigue cracking. Remember the "convertible" 737 that
Hawaiian Airlines had?

Steve.