Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default Bandsaw, lower bearing guides

"Peter Huebner" wrote in message
t...

My new Jet has ball bearing guides. Stacked bearings, which is nice so I
can
narrow them when I have to; very nifty mechanism: the bearings are riding
on an
excenter that you can rotate and lock in place to effect adjustment,
nothing
could be easier.

Except, well, the lower bearings pick up sawdust, don't they. Upon which
they
start howling uproriously. At that point I can usually not be bothered to
go
clean them so I just back them off a bit, but that's not really what I
want to
do, is it? I do not have them as tight as a ciggy paper sized gap in the
first
place.

Anything I could do easily? Would a couple of toothbrushes mounted to
clean the
bearings work in your opinion?

I had the same problem with the Rikon that I bought and returned. Noisy
roller bearings. Way noisy if you cut wet wood that has not been dried.
They then go bang as the wood chips stick and get bigger like a snow ball.

I prefer the ceramic guides. No moving parts.