Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

Default Commercial grade string trimmer?

On 21 May 2006 18:52:17 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "jw"
quickly quoth:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a commercial grade weed whacker?

I am getting tired of the consumer grade throwaways. What do the pros
use? I am willing to spend a little money and buy a good one.

I've had excellent luck with the Husqvarna 323L series. They're twice
the effective horsepower of the throwaways, don't wind grass around
their own heads, and are much easier to start. I keep my 2 neighbors'
4-acre lots cleared for them. One's guy's 90 and the other late 70s,
so they can no longer get out and do the work. The younger one buys
Husky and I'm glad to be using them. I no longer have to fight my Toro
POS with the bad clutch. I've done weedeating for them for 4 years
now and the li'l orange Husky beasties are tough. I hope to try the
325 series 4-stroke models some day, too. Price for the 323L is around
$300, but you -won't- need to replace it every year or two.

I read a review recently, but damned if I can find it again. I think
there was an Echo model that was highly recommended, but I am not sure.

I've heard that Echo has been having quality problems lately (last
year), and I noted that their price was below the Huskys now.
Caveat emptor.

--
Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still.
--Chinese Proverb