Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

Default Getting a VFD on ebay

On Sun, 21 May 2006 19:23:48 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

In article , says...
FWIW, the manuals don't always explicitly tell you if they can take single
phase power in. Leastways I couldn't that admission in the Mitsubishi
manuals but they both run fine on 220 single phase. They are recently
obsoleted drives though and manuals for newer drives may routinely address
the issue. A call to the manufacturer would probably be in order before
committing to buy an older, used VFD.

Mike

Yes, it's more the exception to find mention of single phase operation
in the manuals. Of the Allen-Bradley, Mitsubishi, and Yaskawa drives
I've used in the past couple years, only Yaskawa mentions single phase
operation, even though all would operate on single phase. In fact, in 20
years I've never run across a small VFD that *wouldn't* run on single
phase. If you ask the manufacturer, the usual recommendation is to
derate by 1/3 to 1/2 with single phase input.

Heed the advice to not buy a drive if you can't get a manual.

Ned Simmons

A lot of the new AB Powerflex 4 and 40 models are specified for single
phase. They even have models for 120 VAC. See
http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/3...23285/2531069/

Some of these have pots already on them. They're not cheap, around
$400 or so for a 220 V single phase in.

Pete Keillor