Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default Pool Pump Question

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'd like to drain my above-ground pool a few inches so that I can
replace my skimmer basket. I have no pump other than the one that
usually pulls pool water into my filter.

Can I use that pump to drain the pool a few inches? For example, could
I just pretend to be vacuuming, except instead of stopping when the
water level gets to the low-water mark, I'd just keep going until the
water level has gone down several inches?

Or will that bring too little water into my pump?

Thanks!

Just get a garden hose and feed it vertically down into your pool from the
surface. Put the end in first that has the moveable collar connector. The
one you would screw onto your faucet. When you get to the end that you
would normally put the sprayer on, feed it down into the water and put your
thumb on it. Pull out about eight feet of hose from the pool and lay it on
the ground. Take your thumb off. If you've done it right, you have instant
flow. Watch it so it doesn't drain your entire pool. Should take about
30 - 60 minutes. The lower you can put the discharge, the faster it will
drain. If you're on a hill, take it down hill a bit.

If you want, you can put the end in the pool at the depth you want to drain
it to. When it reaches that depth, it will suck air, and not drain any
more, so you can walk away, and not have it drain your entire pool.

Steve