Posted to alt.home.repair
John F.

Default Natural Gas Costs vs Fuel Oil

To help answer my own questions and for those who may be intereted a gallon
of propane delivers 92,000 BTU's vs fuel oil which delivers 130,000 BTU per
gallon or 41% more heat. No luck yet on finding out the number BTUs
delivered by natural gas.

"John F." wrote in message
Hello Posters........
I'm trying to get a overall picture of what the costs are to heat a house
with natural gas vs oil (even propane costs). I've always heated
(including hot water) with oil. I understand the amount of heat
delivered by oil vs gas and elecric is more, but with natural gas prices
actually down and oil simply sykrocketing and never going to go down,
does it make more sense to buy a pre-existing home that is heated by
natural gas hot water baseboard and not oil? Obviously the variables of
how much fuel is used depends on a myriad of conditions. So I'm trying to
get a comparison of what equal conditions might cost for one vs the other.
I'm in the extreme western part of mid-upstate NY. I don't know what an
equal amount of heat generation for the different fuels cost. Right now
my oil supplier wants $2.99 a gallon for a futures price on oil and $2.40
per gallon on propane through May of 2007; Idon't know what NYState E&Gas
charges for natural gas. I''d appreciate any input and any specific
examples from posters who may have switched from one to the other. Thanks
in advance for the usual fine input here. John