Posted to alt.home.repair
John F.

Default Natural Gas Costs vs Fuel Oil

Hello Posters........
I'm trying to get a overall picture of what the costs are to heat a house
with natural gas vs oil (even propane costs). I've always heated (including
hot water) with oil. I understand the amount of heat delivered by oil vs
gas and elecric is more, but with natural gas prices actually down and oil
simply sykrocketing and never going to go down, does it make more sense to
buy a pre-existing home that is heated by natural gas hot water baseboard
and not oil? Obviously the variables of how much fuel is used depends on a
myriad of conditions. So I'm trying to get a comparison of what equal
conditions might cost for one vs the other. I'm in the extreme western part
of mid-upstate NY. I don't know what an equal amount of heat generation for
the different fuels cost. Right now my oil supplier wants $2.99 a gallon
for a futures price on oil and $2.40 per gallon on propane through May of
2007; Idon't know what NYState E&Gas charges for natural gas. I''d
appreciate any input and any specific examples from posters who may have
switched from one to the other. Thanks in advance for the usual fine input
here. John