Posted to rec.woodworking
Al

Default Downes & Reader lumber truck hits and kills cyclist

I understand what you say about being aware of cyclists. If we (motorist)
are supposed to be held liable for violating the rules of the road then to
should the cyclists since the law clearly states that they are to adhere to
the rules of the road as well. Not saying its right or wrong that a
motorist rarely gets convicted of anything but perhaps its because the law
recognizes that the cyclist was in clear violation of the law? There is a
reason when I drive I stay as far as I can away from the side of the road,
you never know when some idiot is going to pop out on foot, skateboard, or
bike. 20 years ago I hit a guy that ran out into the road from between two
cars without looking. He did not get hurt as I did stop but I am sure he
did learn a lesson since he did make contact with my Dodge PW pickup. I do
agree that motorist need to be more observant, how ever law enforcement
needs to hear that sucking sound of their ears clearing as the pull their
heads out and start to be fair about enforcing the rules/laws of the road.
This would save lives and make the cyclist aware that they are supposed to
obey the law to. A couple days ago I was in downtown Portland and had a
cyclists run a red light in front of me and a local cop. Did the cop do
anything even though it was a violation of the law? No! I would bet you
dollars to the cops doughnuts that if it were a car he would have went after
him and wrote a ticket.
There is a famous quote that law enforcement likes to use (if you ever watch
Cop's you've heard it) ignorance of the law is no excuse. I believe in
equal rights strongly and this is one of the areas I would like to see it
enforced. It would save lives if the people knew there would be a fine or
some kind of punishment for the cyclists (like there is supposed to be) as
well like the motorist would get. From my experience this is my opinion
such as it is.

Al

"Bruce T" wrote in message
As a former bicyclist, I think blame can be passed around equally. On the
one hand, most drivers are only about 50% aware when they're behind the
wheel, and the use of cell phones drops that number precipitously. To a
lot of drivers, MOTORCYCLES are almost invisible, what can a bicyclist
expect? Additionally, drivers are seldom held liable for killing and/or
maiming cyclists--they may go to trial, but they're rarely convicted of
anything but a minor offense.

On the other hand, cyclists don't do much to endear themselves to
motorists. They often ignore stop signs and traffic lights, they often
ride two and three abreast on the road, and they weave through traffic
halted at an intersection, then cruise through the light as if it isn't
there.

So, you've got a bunch of motorists who are driving around partailly
distarcted a large portion of the time, and a bunch of cyclists (not all)
who seem to go out of thier way just to **** the motorists off.

Like sombody around here says, "If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be
tough."

BruceT

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
CW wrote:
Simple fact: If a bicyclist wants to enjoy a long, healthy life, it
would be
wise for him to watch cars closely and to stay out of their way. Sure,
the
law says that they don't have to

The law does say they have to. If you are on a road on a bike, motorcycle,
car, truck, etc... you have to adhere to the rules of the road. You may not
have to be licensed to ride a bike but you are supposed to signal and obey
traffic signs just as a motorized vehicle.

If you think I am wrong then go he
http://www.state.nh.us/hsafety/hsbicyc.html

but, to avoid becoming a grease spot,
they
should. This thread has been amazingly free from the "we have the same
rights" bicycle advocates. In any case, they can bitch and moan as much
as
they want, then die for their beliefs tomorrow.

Exactly right, that is why I quit riding. Most bicyclist realize they
are vulnerable and tend to be much more careful than vehicle drivers who
think and know they are not vulnerable.

My comment was inspired by reading several posts and said or implied that
bicyclist have no rights. And I bet they act that way. The worst
offenders seemed to me to be little car drivers that would not move
across the lane marker when passing a bicycle and pickup truck drivers
who paid no attention to their West Coast mirrors and apparently didn't
care if the hit the cyclist.

I think a few well placed .45s would cure that complex, but then a few
well placed .45s would cure a lot of bad attitudes.

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Swingman wrote:

"Mcfly" wrote in message

I'm curious. As someone who obviously doesn't bike, when would you
even
have the opportunity to see rudeness of motor vehicles to bicycles? As
a motor vehicle driver, I admit I've never seen anyone in a car being
rude to a bicyclist.

As a sporadic cyclist, I see it down here in Houston all the time ...

then

again, if drivers were thrown in jail for the complete disregard of the

road

rules that most cyclist seem to get away with, there would be no
auto/cyclist issues.

... when is the last time you saw someone on a bicycle obey a stop
sign

on

a residential street?

Not directed specifically at you Swingman.
This subject is a good opportunity for every jerk
on either side of the bicycle question to express
anger, stupidity, and ignorance.

I don't know where everyone else lives, but in the
states I have lived in, bicycles enjoy the same
rights as motor vehicles. In many places traffic
laws recognize that a bicycle is different from a
car and do not require bicycles to come to
complete stops at every stop sign.

I quit riding a bicycle on major streets many
years ago when I finally decided that I need to
ride with a pistol that could be reached and used
fast. Instead of wearing a pistol, and probably
being in jail at this time, I decide to quit
riding. Some bicycle riders are a hazard and are
definite jerks. OTOH, the majority of vehicle
drivers are so poor in knowledge and action that I
am continuously amazed that every 5th car on the
road isn't completely wrecked from numerous crashes.